Back to Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum

About the Museum
Docent Recruitment
Holiday Schedule/Museum Closures

215 S. Tejon St.
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
Phone: 719-385-5990
Fax: 719-385-5645
Email: COSMuseum@Springsg. . .
Hours: Tues.-Sat.; 10 a.m.-4 p.m.; FREE ADMISSION

City of Colorado Springs / Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum / Collections / Archives Research / Finding Aids/Inventories / Willard Wulff Glass Plate Negatives

Willard Wulff Glass Plate Negatives

Photo of Willard Wulff with Christmas Tree in 1907.
Willard Wulff with Christmas Tree 1907

The Willard Wulff photograph collection consists of 214 images preserved on 5"-by-7" glass plates. Willard Warrick Wulff was born in Colorado Springs on September 30, 1904 and the bulk of the photos were taken during his childhood by his father, Frank Wulff (1876-1970). Like all family photographs there are a wide variety of topics reflected in the collection: portraits of family and friends, vacation photos, snapshots of pets, and plenty of images of young Willard. In addition to this there are also fascinating photographs of Pikes Peak area landscapes and street scenes, parades, and even President Theodore Roosevelt's visit to Colorado Springs. In all the collection spans the years 1903 to 1925.

Frank F. Wulff and Sarah Irene (Warrick)Wulff were married in Blair, Nebraska in 1900 and moved to Colorado Springs two years later. Frank became part owner of the Wulff Sullivan Shoe Store, a business he later took over and renamed the Wulff Shoe Store. Willard was their only child. He graduated from Colorado Springs High School and, in 1928, earned a degree in geology from The Colorado College. He worked in the family's shoe store until it was sold in 1951. He later retired from Blicks Sporting Goods, another retail store located on Tejon Street. He was an active member of the Masons and Elks, a charter member of the Colorado Springs Mineralogical Society, and an avid angler and hunter.

Shortly before his death in 1970 Frank Wulff decided to throw away his collection of glass plate negatives. Willard saved the bulk of the collection from destruction, identified and stored them, and in 1993 oversaw their donation to the Museum. The quality and condition of the negatives varies widely from image to image, as would photographic reproducation made from them. The following images have been digitally enhanced to improve clarity.