Back to Housing Development

Frequently Asked Questions

P.O. Box 1575, Mail Code 640, Colorado Springs, CO 80901-1575
30 S Nevada Ave, Suite 604
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
Phone: 719-385-5912
Fax: 719-385-5475
Email: housingdevelopment. . .
Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 and 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday

City of Colorado Springs / Housing Development / Programs and Services / Housing Rehabilitation / Owner Occupant Rehab

Owner Occupant Housing Rehabilitation

City of Colorado Springs and El Paso County Residents

This program allows qualified homeowners located in the City of Colorado Springs and El Paso County to take out a 0% deferred payment loan to make necessary improvements to their home. The funds are primarily used to repair/replace substandard or failing housing conditions and make energy efficiency improvements. Improvements can include, repairing or replacing roof, windows, doors, hot water heater, furnace, flooring, plumbing, electrical and more.

Loan details:

  • Monthly Payments are NOT required
  • Interest does NOT accrue
  • The loan does not need to be paid back until there is a transfer of title (e.g. home is sold)

The loan is immediately due and payable if the home is sold, ownership is transferred, the homeowner fails to occupy the property, or fails to pay property taxes or property insurance. Loans are secured by a Deed of Trust on the property.

Preliminary Qualifications:

  • You must meet the income guidelines located on the Housing Rehabilitation Program Income Guidelines page
  • The property must be your primary residence
  • You must be the owner of record of the property to be rehabilitated
  • The property cannot exceed current HUD after rehabilitation values
  • The property cannot be located in the floodplain

Once you qualify, a Redevelopment Specialist will inspect your home to identify necessary improvements and develop a cost estimate. A contractor will be obtained through a competitive quote process and will make the improvements to your home. The city will disburse the funds to the contractor on your behalf.

Lead-based paint testing may be performed on homes built before 1978. Asbestos testing may also be required.


For more information call (719) 385-5912 or e-mail

Privacy Policy