The original Station 4 was built at the same time as the second Station 3. In fact, they were built identically for a total cost of $12,575.15 for both station houses. Station 4 was located at the corner of Institute and Huerfano (now Colorado Avenue). Company 4 began service on December 6, 1904.
On January 9, 1917, this was the last CSFD company to be converted from horse-drawn to motorized fire fighting apparatus. The station was manned and occupied until September of 1971 when the company moved into "New" Station 4.
The station house was sold in September 1977 to the Colorado Springs Police Protective Association. It was later resold to St. Francis Hospital and used as living quarters for the Flight for Life crews. It is currently privately owned.
On September 13, 1971, Engine Company 4 began operations at "New" Station 4 at 2280 Southgate Road. "Old" Station 4 was too close to Station 1 for practicality, and there was a need for fire protection in the southwest part of town. With the annexation of the Ivywild-Cheyenne Canon, Broadmoor and Stratton Meadows areas, a single engine company at this station was no longer enough to handle the call load.
Between December 30, 1978, and January 4, 1984, Engine 12 and later Engine 13 answered calls from Station 4 until their respective stations were built. Aerial 4 was added to the complement on January 3, 1979. "New" Station 4 housed one of the original high angle rescue teams for the Colorado Spring Fire Department.