Back
line





City of Colorado Springs / Transit Service / News

FREX Gets Reprieve for 2010


Due to a decision by Colorado Springs City Council, FrontRange Express (FREX) commuter bus service between Colorado Springs and Denver will continue for at least the remainder of 2010.  Based on recent interest expressed by at least two out-of-state transit agencies, the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT), who owns 80% of FREX buses, and the City of Colorado Springs, who owns the remaining 20%, agreed to put nine surplus buses up for sale a third time in an effort to generate operating funds for the service in 2010.  A successful bid of $1.44M, an average of $160K per bus, was received from York County Transportation Authority in Pennsylvania on February 8th.  The proceeds of the sale are enough to support the service through the remainder of this year.  CDOT has already approved use of state proceeds from the sale for operating expenses in 2010, and Colorado Springs City Council approved use of local proceeds for the service during its formal session on February 9th. 

FREX service will maintain its current schedule without interruption until further notice, and transit officials will continue to seek sustainable funding options for FREX in 2011 and beyond.

FREX is operated by the City of Colorado Springs, Transit Services Division/Mountain Metropolitan Transit.  For more information, please visit www.FrontRangeExpress.comor call 719-636-FREX (3739) or 877-425-FREX (3739).