Safe Winter Driving Tips
Friday, November 22, 2013, 10:00 AM [RELEASE AT WILL]
With the recent changes in weather, the Colorado Springs Police Department and our partner, DRIVE SMART El Paso County Coalition, would like to remind residents to be prepared for tricky winter driving. Severe weather driving conditions escalate during the winter months and can occur quickly, and at any time.
Be a safer driver during the winter: Note: 4WD vehicles do not stop faster on ice than 2WD vehicles. The heavier the vehicle, the longer it takes to stop.
- Maintain traction: Make sure you have good tire tread; start and stop gradually to avoid losing traction; drive at steady speeds; accelerate slightly when approaching a hill, then maintain a steady speed going up; and gear down on downgrades.
- Skids: If your vehicle begins to skid, remove your foot from the accelerator or brake, steer in the direction of the skid and once steady, turn the wheel straight and proceed.
- Braking: Be gentle with braking pressure, know what type of brake system you have – gently pump disc brakes to avoid locking the wheels. Locking your wheels will send your vehicle into a skid (anti-lock brakes will provide this action for you), and avoid braking on a curve by driving through them at a safe, steady speed.
- Always wear your seat belt!
- Slow down! Most crashes occur by driving too fast for conditions.
- Use your low-beam headlights in bad weather, especially where snow is falling or blowing heavily.
- Leave extra space between you and the vehicle ahead of you.
Be prepared for the unexpected. Have an emergency kit in your vehicle in case you become stranded. If stranded, stay in your vehicle, turn on your flashers, call for help and wait until it arrives.
In addition to an emergency kit, be sure to check your vehicle trip to make sure it is in safe operating condition. Check the windshield wiper fluid, heater/defroster, wiper blades, antifreeze, lights, fuel system, ignition, exhaust system, tire tread, battery and brakes and……….. have a full tank of gas.