Structure Fire at 4797 Chaparral Road
Monday, November 18, 2013
Colorado Springs, CO - On November 8, 2013 at 12:04 p.m., Colorado Springs firefighters were dispatched to a reported structure fire at 4797 Chaparral Road. The first CSFD engine arrived within five minutes to see heavy smoke and flames coming from the home.
CSFD responded to this two-alarm fire call with five fire engines, three fire trucks, the hazmat unit, the heavy rescue unit and five support apparatus. There were 45 firefighters on scene working to put out the fire and provide medical care to the residents.
Fire investigators have ruled this fire accidental and caused by a natural gas line that was not secured properly within the home. The valve at the end of the line was open and began leaking gas into the utility room. Several explosions occurred when the leaking gas found an ignition source.
The two residents were both injured during the blast. They have been released from a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries. Due to the extensive damage to the home, the residents will be displaced. Unfortunately the home is a total loss.
The CSFD wants to remind our community of the dangers of natural gas. If you smell natural gas, immediately leave your residence or business and then call 9-1-1.