Sustainability Snapshot Contest launched for Earth Month
Win prizes by showing off your creative, sustainable side
The City of Colorado Springs Office of Innovation and Sustainability (OIS) has launched a Sustainability Snapshot Contest as part of Earth Month festivities. Just by showing off your creative, sustainable side, you will be in the running for $800 in prizes thanks to a generous partnership with community partners.
Throughout the month of April, upload photos of yourself engaging in one or more of 20 sustainability activities to the OIS Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/CS.OIS. If you enter a photo in all 20 categories, you’ll be eligible for the grand prize drawing of $500 cash, sponsored by SunShare. If 20 photo submissions sounds too intimidating, you can also compete in three different categories for a $100 prize drawing in each. Those categories are: $100 for the best cycling/alternative transportation pic (sponsored by Old Town Bike Shop), $100 for the best ride to downtown on a bus or using alternative fuel pic (sponsored by Southern Colorado Clean Cities Coalition), and $100 for the best recycling pic (sponsored by Greener Corners).
The contest is open to U.S. citizens and permanent legal residents who are 13 years and older. City of Colorado Springs’ employees and their immediate family are not eligible for prizes. The contest runs the entire month of April.
A list of the categories can be found on the next page with the $100 prize categories marked with an asterisk (*). Compete in all 20 for a chance at a $500 cash prize.
Bonus: If you’re a college/university student, you can upload a picture doing one of these activities in your college garb to win school gear.
Sustainability Snapshot Contest Challenge Categories
(Do all 20 to be eligible for $500 prize)
1) Make a pledge for Earth Month and upload a pic of yourself with your pledge
2) Shop with a reusable bag
*3) Ride to downtown on the bus or using alternative fuel
*4) Ride a bike/walk/carpool/otherwise reduce fuel consumption
5) Attend an Earth Month event
6) Pick up poop in a park
7) Use a reusable bottle
*8) Rescue a recyclable from the trash
9) Enjoy locally-sourced food or beverage
10) Take a photo with an energy-saving LED streetlight
11) Great Gardening- Start a window garden/seedlings/work in a local garden
12) Kill a phantom electrical load
13) Creative reuse for a non-recyclable
*14) Use a Greener Corners bin (try their app!)
15) Volunteer in the community
16) Take a photo with a LEED-rated facility
17) Take a photo of any renewable energy
18) Shop/donate at second-hand retail
19) Check tire pressure/buy sustainable seafood/change a light bulb/purchase a GREEN cleaning product
20) YOUR CHOICE: what did we forget?
**BONUS: Recycle in your college garb for the college prize (must enter separately)!