||FYI||CSU DRAKE POWER PLANT AND NEUMANN SYSTEMS GROUP 700 S CONEJOS INSTALL ONE TEMPORARY 250 GAL ABOVEGROUND STORAGE TANK
ADVANCE TANK CONSTRUCTION, CAMERON LOUCKS|
|FYI||Permanent and temporary storage and dispensing of Class I and II liquids for private use on farms and rural areas and at construction sites, earth-moving projects, gravel pits or borrow pits shall be in accordance with
the IFC 2009, As amended, Sections 3406.2.1 through 3406.2.8.1.|
|FYI||Tank Description: -One tank with a capacity of 250 gallons.
Contents: Diesel, Class II
Type of containment: Yes, secondary containment
TEMPORARY FOR CONSTRUCTION FUELING EQUIPMENT|
|FYI||Fill openings shall be equipped with a locking closure device. Fill openings shall
be separate from vent openings.
Tanks shall be provided with a method of normal and emergency venting. Normal vents shall also
be in accordance with Section 3404.2.7.3.
Emergency vents shall be arranged to discharge in a manner which prevents localized overheating or flame
impingement on any part of the tank in the event that vapors from such vents are ignited.
|FYI||Tanks with top openings shall be mounted as follows:
1. On well-constructed metal legs connected to shoes or runners designed so that the tank is stabilized and the entire tank and its supports can be moved as a unit; or
2. For stationary tanks, on a stable base of timbers or blocks approximately 6 inches in height
which prevents the tank from contacting the ground.
Tanks with top openings only shall be equipped with a tightly and permanently attached, approved pumping device having an approved hose of sufficient length for filling vehicles, equipment or containers to be served from the tank.
Either the pump or the hose shall be equipped with a padlock to its hanger to prevent tampering. An effective antisiphoning device shall be included in the pump discharge unless a self-closing nozzle is provided.
Siphons or internal pressure discharge devices shall not be used.
*** Pump is a FILL Rite Pump, 12V FR3200 em shut off|
|FYI||Tanks with a connection in the bottom or the end for gravity-dispensing liquids shall be mounted and equipped as follows:
1. Supports to elevate the tank for gravity discharge shall be designed to carry all required loads and provide
2. Bottom or end openings for gravity discharge shall be equipped with a valve located adjacent to the tank shell which will close automatically in the event of fire through the operation of an effective heat-activated
releasing device. Where this valve cannot be operated manually, it shall be supplemented by a second,
manually operated valve.
The gravity discharge outlet shall be provided with an approved hose equipped with a self-closing valve at the discharge end of a type that can be padlocked to its hanger.
|FYI||The area surrounding a tank or group of tanks shall be provided with drainage control or shall be diked to prevent accidental discharge of liquid from endangering adjacent tanks, adjoining property or reaching
* The volumetric capacity of the diked area shall not be less than the greatest amount of liquid that can be released from the largest tank within the diked area. The capacity of the diked area enclosing more than one tank shall be calculated by deducting the volume of the tanks other than the largest tank below the height of the dike.
* Piping shall not pass through adjacent diked areas or impounding basins, unless provided with a sealed sleeve or otherwise protected from exposure to fire.
* Diked areas shall be kept free from combustible materials, drums and barrels.
Pumps, manifolds and fire protection equipment or controls shall not be located within diked areas or drainage
basins or in a location where such equipment and controls would be endangered by fire in the diked area or drainage basin.|
|FYI||Provide for vehicle protection of tank in one of the following forms:
1) Provide Bollards- concrete filled Steel, Schedule 40, 4 inches outer diameter buried a minimum of 3 ft underground, extending a minimum of 3 ft above grade spaced at a minimum of 4 ft on center. Shall be anchored in a concrete foundation 15" diameter x 3 feet deep. Bollards shall be spaced away from the tank a distance equal or greater than their height above grade. Bollards shall not be more than 4 feet on-center.
2) Provide Concrete Road Barriers (Jersey Barriers) as approved by the Fire Code Inspector (4' apart, 4' from tanks. See 2003 IFC Section 312.3 for height and impact resistivity requirements).
3) CMU Block Screen Walls may be an acceptable method of vehicular protection. When CMU screen walls are considered for vehicular protection, they shall be proven to meet the height/impact resistivity requirements of 2003 IFC Section 312.
*traffic cones are not recognized by the Fire Code as an acceptable method of vehicular protection.
INSPECTOR SHALL VERIFY METHOD OF VEHICLE PROTECTION|
|I||* Storage areas shall be kept free from weeds and extraneous combustible material.
* Open flames and smoking are prohibited in flammable or combustible liquid storage areas.
* Tanks and containers for the storage of liquids above ground shall be conspicuously marked with the name of the product which they contain and the words:
KEEP FIRE AND FLAME AWAY
Tanks shall bear the additional marking:
KEEP 50 FEET FROM BUILDINGS.|
|FYI||Provide proper placarding / labeling for tank on both sides of tank as per NFPA 704. |
|FYI||The capacity of temporary above-ground tanks containing Class I or II liquids shall not exceed 10,000 gallons
*** This tank is 250 gallons, Class II|
|I||Tanks containing Class I or II liquids shall be kept outside and at least 50 feet from buildings and combustible storage. Additional distance shall be provided when necessary to ensure that vehicles, equipment and containers being filled directly from such tanks will not be less than 50 feet from structures, haystacks or other combustible storage.
*** Plan diagram shows greater than 50 foot distance. Subject to field inspection by Fire Inspector.
|FYI||Portable fire extinguishers with a minimum rating of 20-B:C and complying with Section 906 shall be provided where required by the fire code official.
*** TWO Fire Extinguishers shown on diagram. OK. Also subject to Fire Inspector.|