Resource Number: 94Historic Building Name: Knights of Columbus/Colorado Springs Pioneer MuseumCurrent Building Name: Pike's Peak Library DistrictAddress: 25 W. Kiowa St.Architectural Style: Late 19th and 20th Century Revivals/MissionYear Built: 1928
Click for more information
Click for more photos
From its 1928 construction until its sale in 1937, this building served as the lodge hall for the Knights of Columbus, Colorado Springs Council 582. The organization was formed to " develop a practical Catholicity among its members, to promote Catholic education and charity, and through its insurance department, furnish at least temporary financial aid to the families of deceased members." Chartered with 25 members in 1901, it was the first Council in Colorado. The fraternal organization met in various buildings until a 1924 fundraising drive produced this building.
This was one of the last commissions of the acclaimed architect Thomas MacLaren (1863-1928). Constructed in a Mission Revival style, the building is composed principally of buff-colored, wire-drawn brick, with red clay tile roofing, terra cotta coping and polychromatic terra cotta ornaments, including the central cartouche inscribed with "KC 582." Contractor for the building was R. E. Alderman.
In 1937, the Colorado Springs Pioneer Association deposited its historical collection here. The City Council purchased the building for $13,000 and established a Board of Directors, which prompted the Association to donate its collection to the City. This collection formed the foundation of the Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum, now located in the 1903 El Paso County Courthouse at 205 South Tejon Street. State Register eligible.