Resource Number: 202Historic Building Name: Sommers ResidenceCurrent Building Name: Address: 14 W. Costilla St.Architectural Style: Late Victorian/Queen AnneYear Built: 1897-1898
Click for more information
Click for more photos
This structure is representative of the Queen Anne style popular in the later 19th Century in the United States, with its asymmetrical composition, corner tower topped with a finial, bay window and decorative windows and shingling. Originally a residence built sometime between 1895 and 1898, it was built for Edward and Maria Sommers on the same site as their earlier home.
Sommers, originally from Wisconsin, was a well-known cattleman in southwestern Colorado, and was reported to have been one of the first Anglos to see the ruins at Mesa Verde. Arriving in Colorado Springs in 1885, he participated in the meat market business as part of the Hopkins and Sommers Market, then buying out his partner to form the E. D. Sommers & Brother Market.
His son, Herbert, bought the business in 1916 and established a series of grocery stores and meat markets in the city. In 1920, following his father's death, he and his wife Edna moved into this house. A member of the City Council and Zoning Commissioner for 14 years, Herbert lived here until moving to the Broadmoor area in 1928. State Register eligible.