Resource Number: 174Historic Building Name: Richard's GrillCurrent Building Name: Darlene's Chucks Stop DinerAddress: 132 W. Cimarron St.Architectural Style: No StyleYear Built: 1954
Click for more information
Click for more photos
One of two diners in Downtown Colorado Springs manufactured by the Valentine Manufacturing Company of Wichita, Kansas, this is representative of the diners installed throughout the country to provide inexpensive meals for working people and travelers. A forerunner of fast food chain restaurants, it was presumed that they could be moved as traffic patterns changed.
Originally placed at the northwest corner of Cimarron Street and Nevada Avenue, this is one of the plainer designs produced by the Valentine Manufacturing Company, reflecting Modern influences in the flat roof, metal panels, projecting sign, plate glass windows and the small rounded overhand sheltering the entrance. National Register eligible.