Resource Number: 173Historic Building Name: Union Ice & Coal Co./Union Ice & Fuel Co./Hollywood Creamery/Midland CreameryCurrent Building Name: Rampart SupplyAddress: 110 W. Vermijo Ave.Architectural Style: No StyleYear Built: 1907
Click for more information
Click for more photos
This two part building was associated for more than sixty years with the ice and coal business in Colorado Springs, and later as a creamery. The taller brick corner section was used for cold storage; the stone wing to the north contained freezing tanks, ice storage and boilers with tall chimneys. Its ice-producing capacity was reported in 1907 as thirty tons every 24 hours.
W. M. Banning was proprietor in 1910; his daughter, Ruth Banning took over as manager after his death in 1914. Dividing responsibilities between the Ice and Coal Company and the Banning family ranch south of Colorado Springs, she married Raymond "Pinky" Lewis in 1921. Their holdings eventually grew to encompass nearly 40,000 acres.
Sometime after 1970, the current occupant, Rampart Plumbing and Heating Supply, Joseph A. Perry president, moved into the building. Locally significant.