Resource Number: 31Historic Building Name: William L. Lietzke GroceryCurrent Building Name: Shuga'sAddress: 702 S. Cascade Ave.Architectural Style: No StyleYear Built: 1920
Click for more information
Click for more photos
This building was erected around 1920 as a neighborhood grocery store, and continued in that function until 1952. Neighborhood markets were the precursors to the automobile-related supermarkets that began appearing in the mid-1930's. The proprietor, William L. Liezke and his wife Betty lived in the neighborhood at 621 South Cascade Avenue.
The building's design was simple; a hipped roof with flared, overhanging eaves, lap siding and a central inset entrance flanked by large windows was typical of the era. Used for a variety of other business uses, it now operates as a coffeehouse. State Register eligible.