Historic Downtown Colorado SpringsSurvey Report
Downloadable Walking Tour Brochure
Colorado Historical Society
National Register of Historic Places
City of Colorado Springs Homepage
City Planning Homepage
©2004 City of Colorado Springs
Select a numbered resource for more information
- Resource Number: 3
- Historic Building Name: Second Congregational Church/South Congregational/Our Lady of Guadalupe Church
- Current Building Name: Guadalupe Building
- Address: 407 S. Tejon St.
- Architectural Style: Late Victorian/Romanesque Revival
- Year Built: 1889-1890
Click for more information
Click for more photos
This building is associated with the history of religious institutions in Colorado Springs, having been erected in 1889-1890 as the Second Congregational Church, which worshipped here until 1925. The second Congregational Church was notably led by Colorado Springs historian Manley D. Ormes until 1904. In 1948 the building was purchased by the Catholic Church to serve Spanish-speaking residents in the area south of downtown and became Our Lady of Guadalupe Church. The building is thus associated with the Hispanic population of the city during the period after World War II. The building later was converted to offices.
Built in Romanesque Revival style, it was originally faced with red brick. A photograph of the church taken in 1965 shows that the walls were stucco at that point. Since that time, numerous alterations have been made to the building. Locally significant.