Resource Number: 21Historic Building Name: Colo. Springs Rapid Transit Rwy. Car Barn/Winfield Scott BlockCurrent Building Name: Winfield Scott BlockAddress: 508-28 S. Tejon St.Architectural Style: Twentieth Century CommercialYear Built: 1890-92 (oldest part)
Click for more information
Click for more photos
This building has been significantly altered over the years, but remains significant as the maintenance and storage center of the Colorado Springs Rapid Transit Railway. Transit began locally in 1887 in the form of horse-drawn cars, needed as the community expanded beyond easily walkable distances. An electrified system was organized, beginning in 1890, and the block bound by Cimarron, Tejon, Moreno and Cascade avenues was selected as the site for the power house and car barn/shop. By 1893, the community was served by 25 miles of electrified street railway.
In 1901, W. S. Stratton purchased the various street railway lines, consolidated them into the Colorado Springs Rapid Transit Railway, and infused the new company with about $2 million of improvements. This car barn was one of the improvements. The powerhouse on South Sierra Madre was another.
Succumbing to the rise of the automobile in the 1920's, the street railway ceased operations in 1932. By October 1935, the trustees of the Stratton estate had remodeled the car barn into the Winfield Scott Block for use by service firms and offices. Eventually, over 100,000 square feet of space was available to a variety of local firms. Locally significant.