Resource Number: 191Historic Building Name: Elks ClubCurrent Building Name: Elks ClubAddress: 329 E. Cimarron St.Architectural Style: Modern Movements/International StyleYear Built: 1949
Click for more information
Click for more photos
This building is associated with the African-American community as a building used for a fraternal society. The Improved Benevolent Protective Order of Elks of the World originated in 1898 in Cincinnati, Ohio by B. F. Howard and Arthur J. Riggs, after having been denied membership in the local Elks Club. They were determined to form an organization that granted membership to all individuals without regard to race, creed or ethnicity. The local Lodge 473 was organized in 1924 and occupied a small frame house on this site, which served as a recreation center for African-American troops based in Camp Carson during World War II.
Needing larger quarters after the War, the lodge chose to construct this structure, which opened in 1949. Designed by local architect Grant A. Wilson, it was built in the then-emerging International Style by local contractor Gordon Joslyn. Used by a variety of local organizations and for family gatherings, the building continues to serve as a social center for the African-American community. Locally significant.