Resource Number: 190Historic Building Name: Payne Chapel A.M.E. ChurchCurrent Building Name: Address: 320 S. Weber St./128 Pueblo Ave.Architectural Style: Late Victorian/Gothic RevivalYear Built: 1897
Click for more information
Click for more photos
This church served for more than eighty years as the home of the Payne Chapel A.M.E. (African Methodist Episcopal) Church, which served, not only as the center of social and religious lives of the community's African-American community, but also as a focal point in the movement for civil rights. The church itself dates back to 1872 when religious services were held in the home of Isaiah Carter near Weber and Kiowa Streets.
The site was donated by the Colorado Springs Company; General Palmer had pledged a free site to any group wanting to erect a church. An early frame church was replaced by this building in 1897; its architect was M. M. Ritter. Members of the congregation assisted in the construction by using their own horses and wagons to collect sandstone from Bear Creek canyon and contributing construction labor. It was named for A.M.E. Bishop David Payne.
By 1986, the congregation had outgrown the building, and it was sold to private interests for use as offices. State Register eligible.