Historic Downtown Colorado SpringsSurvey Report
Downloadable Walking Tour Brochure
Colorado Historical Society
National Register of Historic Places
City of Colorado Springs Homepage
City Planning Homepage
©2004 City of Colorado Springs
Select a numbered resource for more information
- Resource Number: 19
- Historic Building Name: United Brethren Church/Sons of Israel Synagogue
- Current Building Name: Keys & Associates
- Address: 417 S. Cascade Ave.
- Architectural Style: Late Victorian/Gothic Revival
- Year Built: 1900
Click for more information
Click for more photos
This building is associated with the development of religious facilities in Colorado Springs, having been erected in 1900 by the United Brethren Church. The building was also associated with the Jewish community in the City, having been acquired in 1910 by the Sons of Israel and utilized as a synagogue until 1952. This was the second synagogue in the city and the oldest remaining one; the other was built in 1910 at the corner of Conejos Street and Colorado Avenue.
An example of Gothic Revival style, it has been used by a variety of organizations, including the Izaak Walton League and the local public defender's office. Locally significant.