Resource Number: 176Historic Building Name: Colorado Springs & Interurban Rwy. Co. Power HouseCurrent Building Name: Wickes Lumber/ABC Supply Co.Address: 704 S. Sierra Madre St.Architectural Style: No StyleYear Built: 1901
Click for more information
Click for more photos
This building functioned as the powerhouse for the city's street railway system until about 1925. The historic portion of the structure, constructed circa 1901, has painted brick wall, stepped parapet with corbelling on two sides and tall round arch openings, several of which have been bricked in.
The structure was built by Roberts and Bishoff, premier contractors at the turn of the 20th century, which also constructed the Mining Exchange Building, the Cheyenne Building, and the Second Antlers Hotel. It is likely the building was commissioned by W. S. Stratton prior to the consolidation of the various street railway companies, as local authors Morris Cafky and John A. Haney reported it " ... represented the best modern practice by the standards of that era."
Since the end of its use as a power station, it has served a number of industries, most recently in use as a building supply warehouse. Locally significant.