Resource Number: 92Historic Building Name: Charles L. and Josephine T. Tutt Residence/St. Mary's ConventCurrent Building Name: Marian HouseAddress: 14 W. Bijou St.Architectural Style: Late VictorianYear Built: 1890-1892
Click for more information
Click for more photos
This Late Victorian house was built between 1890 and 1892, and has undergone several transformations. It was designed by the local firm of Douglas and Hetherington, who were responsible for numerous homes in the region, buildings on the Colorado College campus and St. Francis Hospital.
The initial occupants were Charles L. and Josephine Tutt. Charlie Tutt was a boyhood friend of Spencer Penrose, and the two become partners in mines, reduction mills and related ventures in Cripple Creek, and later in Colorado City. By 1941, the residence had been transformed into lodging rooms and then was purchased by the Sisters of St. Loretto, teachers at nearly St. Mary's school. A $100,000 renovation in 1952-53 added the two story rear wing. In the 1980's, the building was again transformed and currently serves as the Soup Kitchen for those in need of nourishment in the community. Locally significant.