Resource Number: 100Historic Building Name: Van Briggle Pottery Co.Current Building Name: Colorado College-Physical PlantAddress: 231 W. Uintah St./1125 Glen Ave.Architectural Style: Other Style: EclecticYear Built: 1907-08
Click for more information
Click for more photos
The Van Briggle Pottery Company, under the leadership of Anne Gregory Van Briggle constructed this pottery manufacturing building in 1907-08. The art pottery and tile business was a prominent enterprise in Colorado Springs in the earliest part of the 20th century with the site being donated by the town's founder, General William Jackson Palmer. The building, with its distinctive kilns, cost $50,000.
Anne Gregory was an art student in Paris when she met Artus Van Briggle, who had served as a decorator at the Rookwood Pottery in Cincinnati. While studying in Paris, Van Briggle discovered the secret for the matte or "dead" glaze for pottery, but developed tuberculosis and moved to Colorado Springs in 1899 to try to recover his health. The company, formed by Anne and Artus, created an entwined double "A" as their trademark, and proceeded to win international acclaim for their art. Artus succumbed in 1904.
His widow, in her role as both president and art director, retained New York architect Nicholas van den Arend to design the building. Anne and a local high school assistant, Emma Kinkead, created much of the terra cotta ornamentation that adorns the building. National Register eligible.