Resource Number: 132Historic Building Name: Hale/Cox ResidenceCurrent Building Name: Address: 130 E. Willamette Ave.Architectural Style: Late 19th and Early 20th Century American Movements/CraftsmanYear Built: 1910
Click for more information
Click for more photos
This is a well-preserved small dwelling associated with residential development in Colorado Springs in the early 1900's, and is an example of increasing density by building several smaller dwellings oriented toward an east-west cross-street rather than one larger dwelling facing the principal north-south street.
Built about 1910, possibly by local contractor James F. Crawford, the building is an example of Craftsman style with its cross gable roof with overhanging eaves, exposed rafters and triangular braces, wood shingled walls and a full-width undereave porch with tapered wood supports, linked with small cross ties on square stone bases with caps. The first known residents were Elbert E. and Lucia B. Hale. Later residents included John Wesley and Abbie H. Cox; for a time Mr. Cox operated a confectionery, fresh fruit and canned goods store. Locally significant.