Resource Number: 130Historic Building Name: Stalford/Riggs ResidenceCurrent Building Name: Address: 124 E. Willamette Ave.Architectural Style: Late 19th and Early 20th Century American Movements/CraftsmanYear Built: 1909
Click for more information
Click for more photos
This is a well-preserved small dwelling associated with residential development in Colorado Springs in the early 1900's, and is an example of increasing density by building several smaller dwellings oriented toward an east-west cross-street rather than one larger dwelling facing the principal north-south street.
Built in 1909, possibly by local contractor James F. Crawford, the building is an example of Craftsman style with its gable front roof, overhanging eaves with exposed rafters, off-center gable roof porch with short tapered wood piers atop a shingled balustrade. The first known occupants were Jesse T. and Cora M. Stalford; Mr. Stalford worked as a watchmaker. Frank R. and Mary D. Riggs were longtime owners; both worked at the Wilber Suit Company, and Mary eventually achieved vice-presidency of that firm. Locally significant.