Resource Number: 128Historic Building Name: St. Stephen's ChurchCurrent Building Name: Grace Church & St. Stephen's ChurchAddress: 631 N. Tejon St. (north building)Architectural Style: Late Victorian/Gothic RevivalYear Built: 1894-1895
Click for more information
Click for more photos
St. Stephens was the second Episcopal church building erected in Colorado Springs, completed in 1894. Facing Monument Street on lots donated by J. J. Hagerman, St. Stephens was designed to allow an expansion to the south, and the original church could be converted into a two-story parish house and Sunday School, as evidenced by the double tier of windows.
Members who withdrew from Grace Church at 215 East Pikes Peak Avenue established the church in 1883. They hired Thomas MacLaren as the architect; this was one of his earliest commissions in the city.
The congregations of St. Stephens and Grace considered merging for a number of years, but it was not until 1922 that the issue was publicly presented to the members of the two churches. In December 1923, the new parish was formally established.
St. Stephens was incorporated into the new building as the northern wing of the structure, becoming the Parish Hall. Gothic Revival in style, it is composed of small blocks of coursed rock-faced rhyolite. National Register eligible.