Historic Downtown Colorado SpringsSurvey Report
Downloadable Walking Tour Brochure
Colorado Historical Society
National Register of Historic Places
City of Colorado Springs Homepage
City Planning Homepage
©2004 City of Colorado Springs
Select a numbered resource for more information
- Resource Number: 102
- Historic Building Name: First Methodist Church
- Current Building Name: First United Methodist Church of Colorado Springs
- Address: 420 N. Nevada Ave.
- Architectural Style: Late Victorian/Romanesque Revival
- Year Built: 1940, 1956, 1966
Click for more information
Click for more photos
This building is associated with the oldest religious institution in Colorado Springs, the First Methodist Church, founded in 1871. Worshiping in buildings at other locations until the construction of a church at the current location in 1902, additions and demolitions have steadily changed the appearance of this church. The oldest portion of the building was built as the Parish House in 1939; the architect was Edward L. Bunts. That portion is now known as Hibbard Hall. The new sanctuary was added in 1955-56, also designed by Bunts; the 1902 structure was removed shortly afterward. The chapel along Boulder Street was added in 1956, and the church school with assembly room and office space was added to the north wall of the church on the west side. Bunts was also associated with both of these projects.
This building reflects a Romanesque Revival type, and is remarkably consistent in its architectural character, despite its evolution over several decades. When the complex reaches fifty years of age, it will be potentially eligible for listing on the National Register.