Historic Downtown Colorado SpringsSurvey Report
Downloadable Walking Tour Brochure
Colorado Historical Society
National Register of Historic Places
City of Colorado Springs Homepage
City Planning Homepage
©2004 City of Colorado Springs
Select a numbered resource for more information
- Resource Number: 86
- Historic Building Name: Caledonian Hall/George Wright, contractor/Angus Mackenzie, tailor
- Current Building Name: Sutton Hoo/Cenacle Spirit/The Blade Shop
- Address: 20-24 E. Bijou St.
- Architectural Style: Late Victorian
- Year Built: 1902
Click for more information
Click for more photos
This is a two-part, two-story Late Victorian commercial building that consists of a circa 1902 brick façade to the west and a narrower stuccoed section to the east (constructed perhaps in the late 1930's). The building features a paneled parapet, cornice with modillions, decorative moldings, arched windows and a balconet at the west end of the second story. Its first recorded use was as a Caledonian Hall, organized to promote camaraderie " ... among persons of Scottish birth and descent, and propagate of love for the music, literature and ancient games of Scotland." Other fraternal societies, including the Soldiers and Sailors Club, also used this Hall.
George Wright, a local contractor and proprietor of the Hall may have been the builder, but the name of the architect is undiscovered. Artists, carpenters and contractors also rented space here. The eastern portion of the building provided residential apartments upstairs, and retail space and offices for a variety of tenants on the ground floor. Locally significant.