Resource Number: 83Historic Building Name: North Park/Acacia ParkCurrent Building Name: Acacia ParkAddress: 120 E. Bijou St./115 E. Platte Ave.Architectural Style: No StyleYear Built: 1871
Click for more information
Click for more photos
North Park was the first of two platted parks in the Original Townsite of Colorado Springs. Reflecting a formal, symmetrical pattern, it measures 400 feet on each side. It was initially landscaped by John Blair, a Scots landscaper who also designed the grounds for General Palmer's home, Glen Eyrie. Old photographs display perimeter and diagonal sidewalks similar to today with cottonwood trees planted at the edges. By 1901, its name had changed to Acacia Park; South Park was renamed Alamo Park and contained the El Paso County Courthouse by 1903.
The bandshell, located at the southern end of the park was added in 1914, replacing a frame bandstand constructed in 1888. Thomas P. Barber, associated with several downtown buildings, designed the bandshell, which is evaluated as individually eligible for listing in the State Register. At the northern end of the park, the concrete shuffleboard courts and horseshoe pits were added in 1940, transforming the park into an area popular with GI's from Camp Carson during WWII. The shuffleboard shelter is now used as a police service center, but shuffleboard courts are available during summer months. Locally significant.