Historic Downtown Colorado SpringsSurvey Report
Downloadable Walking Tour Brochure
Colorado Historical Society
National Register of Historic Places
City of Colorado Springs Homepage
City Planning Homepage
©2004 City of Colorado Springs
Select a numbered resource for more information
- Resource Number: 77
- Historic Building Name: Giddings Brothers & Co./Giddings, Inc.
- Current Building Name: Fed Ex/Couture/SS Subs/Sami's Salon
- Address: 101 N. Tejon St.
- Architectural Style: Late Victorian/Romanesque Revival
- Year Built: 1898, 1899 (addition)
Click for more information
Click for more photos
This building is associated with one of the most successful and longest operating businesses in the city's history. Mr. and Mrs. Edwin W. Giddings left Michigan for Denver in 1869, and by 1874 opened a dry goods store on Tejon Street. When Giddings Brothers & Co. needed more space, lots at this site were acquired and T. E. Linn was retained as architect. The first section of the building was erected in 1898, with the dry goods store occupying the first floor and offices on the remaining three floors. At the time of its construction, this was the tallest building in the city. Eventually the store absorbed the entire space and in 1899 a four-story addition costing $20,000 extended the building east to the alley. The business expanded over time and had achieved a national reputation by the 1930's. In 1950 Giddings, Inc., sold the business to Daniels and Fisher, which became May D&F stores in 1957.
This large, rectangular, four-story painted brick commercial building and is an example of Romanesque Revival style. The building is distinguished by its round arches forming an arcaded fourth story and its cornice with corbelled brickwork. Evenly spaced windows of the upper stories have sandstone lintel and sill courses. An exaggerated arch extends to the top floor on the south wall. The wrought iron balconies are modern additions reflecting current use of the upper stories as residences. Listed in the National Register.