Historic Downtown Colorado SpringsSurvey Report
Downloadable Walking Tour Brochure
Colorado Historical Society
National Register of Historic Places
City of Colorado Springs Homepage
City Planning Homepage
©2004 City of Colorado Springs
Select a numbered resource for more information
- Resource Number: 76
- Historic Building Name: Mountain States Telephone & Telegraph
- Current Building Name: Loveless Floral Building
- Address: 118-20 E. Kiowa St.
- Architectural Style: Modern Movements
- Year Built: 1936, 1942
Click for more information
Click for more photos
This site was the longtime location of the offices of the local telephone company. Following issuance of a franchise by the city in 1897, a building constructed for exchange purposes and offices was built on this site. The telephone company erected this building in 1936. Originally a one-story building, the second story was added in 1942 to meet the additional demands on phone service associated with the growth of the U. S. Army's Camp Carson (now Fort Carson). Vacated in 1953 when the telephone company moved to 17 North Weber Street, the building was more recently known as the Loveless Floral Building.
This building reflects the Modernism of the 1930's in its restrained ornamentation, flat roof, metal frame casement windows, and terra cotta cornice. Locally significant.