Resource Number: 75Historic Building Name: Stillman Residence/Law MortuaryCurrent Building Name: Address: 116 N. Nevada Ave.Architectural Style: Late 19th and 20th Century Revivals/Mediterranean RevivalYear Built: Pre-1883
Click for more information
Click for more photos
This is an interesting example of adaptive reuse. Remnants of the original residence, built for John and Frances Stillman prior to 1883, can still be seen at the north side of the building. John Stillman was a partner in a dry goods business with the Giddings brothers (who owned the Giddings Department Store, 101 North Tejon Street), and was elected as an alderman from the First Ward from 1886-87 and served two terms as the City's mayor.
In 1913, this building was acquired by David and Bessie Law for use as a mortuary and residence, although they soon moved. David served as a mortician and as coroner for El Paso County for 22 years. The Law Mortuary continued operations in this building until 1970 when it merged with the Swan Mortuary and moved to a new site on North Cascade Avenue.
The current appearance resulted from a 1922 renovation designed by architect Charles Thomas (also associated with the City Auditorium, 231 East Kiowa Street and the Perkins Shearer Building, 102 North Tejon Street). The overall effect is a Mediterranean Revival style. State Register eligible.