Historic Downtown Colorado SpringsSurvey Report
Downloadable Walking Tour Brochure
Colorado Historical Society
National Register of Historic Places
City of Colorado Springs Homepage
City Planning Homepage
©2004 City of Colorado Springs
Select a numbered resource for more information
- Resource Number: 74
- Historic Building Name: Odd Fellows Hall
- Current Building Name: Colorado Kite & Ski/Fratelli Restaurant
- Address: 118-30 N. Nevada Ave.
- Architectural Style: Late 19th and Early 20th Century American Movements/Commercial Style
- Year Built: 1909-10, 1927
Click for more information
Click for more photos
The Odd Fellows Hall is a two-story red brick building built with storefronts on the first story and a fraternal lodge on the second. Architectural ornaments include sandstone coping, corbelled brickwork, and a large arched second story window surmounted by a pediment on the east wall. Designed by local architect T. E. Linn (also architect of the Bennett Brothers Building, 13 South Tejon Street, the Mining Exchange Building, 8 South Nevada Avenue, and the Giddings Building, 101 North Tejon Street), it was constructed in 1909-10 for the Pikes Peak Lodge No. 38, International Order of Odd Fellows.
The Independent Order of Odd Fellows, imported to this country in 1819 from England, was organized for the purpose of giving aid to those in need and of pursuing projects for the benefit of all mankind. This was regarded as an uncommon practice in 17th century England, which resulted in the name; the moniker of Odd Fellows was reinforced by their groundbreaking decision to admit women via the Rebekah Charter in 1851. Retail stores and offices have traditionally occupied the ground floor of this building. The Odd Fellows Hall illustrates the importance of fraternal activities in the lives of Colorado Springs' men in the early 20th century. State Register eligible.