Historic Downtown Colorado SpringsSurvey Report
Downloadable Walking Tour Brochure
Colorado Historical Society
National Register of Historic Places
City of Colorado Springs Homepage
City Planning Homepage
©2004 City of Colorado Springs
Select a numbered resource for more information
- Resource Number: 71
- Historic Building Name: Hagerman Block
- Current Building Name: Case Holdings Building/Le Grand Group/Famous Steakhouse
- Address: 31 N. Tejon St.
- Architectural Style: Late 19th and Early 20th Century American Movements/Commercial Style
- Year Built: 1889-1890
Click for more information
Click for more photos
This building is associated with the investments of mining and railroad tycoon James J. Hagerman. Born in Canada in 1833 and an 1861 graduate of the University of Michigan, Hagerman entered the iron business, eventually heading the Milwaukee Iron Co. and amassing a fortune. After developing consumption, Hagerman left the Midwest and eventually moved to Colorado Springs in 1884. Here his health improved, and he began investing in various Colorado ventures. Hagerman is most famous for his association with the Colorado Midland Railway, a project that stagnated until his involvement in 1885. He became president of the railroad, and raised $1.3 million in eastern capital for the line's construction, which began in 1886. The Midland reached Leadville in 1887 and Aspen in 1888.
The Hagerman building was designed by the Kansas City architectural firm of Brunt and Howe and was erected in 1889-1890, at a cost of $100,000. Locally significant.