Resource Number: 68Historic Building Name: Exchange Bank BuildingCurrent Building Name: US BankAddress: 2 S. Tejon St.Architectural Style: Late 19th and Early 20th Century American Movements/Commercial StyleYear Built: 1909
Click for more information
Click for more photos
Located at the intersection known for the convergence of several major street trolley lines, the Exchange Bank was initially formed in 1888. The Board of Directors was composed of prominent figures, including W. S. Stratton, Verner Z. Reed and E. W. Giddings. Fueled by gold extracted from the Cripple Creek Mining District, this 8-story building was constructed at a cost of $350,000. It was one of the first in the city to use a steel skeleton, and contained two elevators and a three-story high bank vault.
The bank was designed by the Boston firm of Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge. Brick was provided by the Hydraulic Pressed Brick Co. of St. Louis, and the building is trimmed with granite and terra cotta. The building represents the Commercial style developed during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and features a heavily ornamented cornice with molding, block dentils and a decorative frieze. The drive-in canopy to the west occupies the site of the Burns Theater, an opera house that represented the fabulous wealth of the Cripple Creek gold mining era that was demolished in 1976. National Register eligible.