Resource Number: 67Historic Building Name: Post Office Building/Independence BuildingCurrent Building Name: Independence Building/Trattoria de AngeloAddress: 121-23 E. Pikes Peak Ave.Architectural Style: Late 19th and 20th Century Revivals/Italian RenaissanceYear Built: 1898
Click for more information
Click for more photos
This is the third building in the vicinity associated with Winfield Scott Stratton, whose statue figures prominently in the median just west of Nevada Avenue. Both designed and built in 1898 by the firm of Roberts and Bishoff (also responsible for the design and construction of the Cheyenne Building (2 East Pikes Peak Avenue) and the construction of the Mining Exchange Building (8 South Nevada Avenue), the first floor use of the building was that of a post office, which continued until the erection of the new post office across the Nevada Avenue in 1910. Offices in the upper stories were popular with physicians, real estate firms and accountants.
The structure was renamed the Independence Building in 1910 in honor of Stratton's flagship Independence Mine, discovered on the Fourth of July 1891. Operated by the Stratton estate, the profits from the building benefited the Myron Stratton Home, an institution created through Stratton's will to provide for poor children and the elderly on an estate on Nevada Avenue, south of downtown.
Similar to the Mining Exchange Building in an Italian Renaissance Revival style, the first story of the building has been totally remodeled, but the upper floors remain substantially intact. State Register eligible.