Resource Number: 65Historic Building Name: Bennett Brothers Building/Carlton BuildingCurrent Building Name: Carlton Building/Ritz GrillAddress: 13-15 S. Tejon St.Architectural Style: Late 19th and Early 20th Century American Movements/Commercial StyleYear Built: 1910
Click for more information
Click for more photos
The Bennett Brothers, Edwin and Lorenzo, left their native Ohio due to Edwin's poor health, and arrived in Colorado Springs in 1876. In 1889, they began a real estate and loan business that led them to become known as prosperous businessmen in the city. This building was designed for a retail storefront and offices in the upper floors. Popular with realtors, attorneys and physicians, this building is associated with the commercial development of downtown. In 1943, the Leslie G. Carlton estate purchased the building, renamed it and moved their offices into it.
Designed by T. E. Linn (also the architect of the Mining Exchange, at 8 South Nevada Avenue, the Giddings Building, at 101 North Tejon Street and the Odd Fellows Hall, 128 North Nevada Avenue), the building is a good example of the commercial style of the late 19th and 20th centuries. The storefront has been replaced, but the upper floors and the overhanging molded cornice with brackets and modillions remain intact. Locally significant.