Resource Number: 64Historic Building Name: Hibbard & Co. Department StoreCurrent Building Name: Hibbard & Co. Building/Chipotle RestaurantAddress: 17-19 S. Tejon St.Architectural Style: Late 19th and 20th Century Revivals/Classical RevivalYear Built: 1914
Click for more information
Click for more photos
Hibbard's was not the first, but was the last independent department store in downtown when it closed its doors in 1996. Founded in 1892, the business carried complete lines of women's ready-to-wear, cosmetics, notions and accessories, men and boys' apparel and home furnishings.
Thomas Barber designed this 1914 building, in Classical Revival style. Barber also designed the Acacia Park Bandshell, and as a member of the firm Pease and Barker, participated in the design of St. Mary's Church, 22 West Kiowa Street. With Frederick Hastings, he planned the El Paso Club 1891 renovations (30 East Platte Avenue) and the 1897 DeGraff Building (118 North Tejon Street). Barber and partner Thomas MacLaren designed City Hall in 1904 (107 North Nevada Avenue).
The shaped parapet, classical white terra cotta ornamentation and dark red brick characterize this building; the brick is laid in a Flemish bond pattern. Renovated for restaurant and office use in 2001, the storefront is modern, as are all the windows. State Register eligible.