Resource Number: 62Historic Building Name: Stratton Building/Kaufman’s Department StoreCurrent Building Name: The Design Center/Lorig’sAddress: 27 S. Tejon St.Architectural Style: Modern MovementsYear Built: 1914
Click for more information
Click for more photos
Winfield Scott Stratton was the Croesus of Cripple Creek, a skilled carpenter who discovered the most lucrative claims in the Mining District. Although he died in 1902, Stratton's estate continued as one of the city's most influential property owners and developers. The building's façade was ornate, and was designed to accommodate up to four additional stories.
Only the alley side of the original building is visible. By 1948, Kaufman's Department store had outgrown its space at 26 South Tejon Street, and negotiated with Stratton's estate (the Myron Stratton Foundation) to modernize this building. The building's owners spent $250,000 on the exterior, an amount matched by Kaufman's in its interior decoration. The exterior of blue terra cotta, Colorado sandstone and California redwood was designed by Edward Bunts (also the architect of the First Christian Church, 16 East Platte Avenue and Palmer High School, 301 North Nevada Avenue).
Kaufman's continued to operate in this space until 1964, when the company was purchased by Goldring, Inc. of New York. More recently, the building was occupied by the Design Center, a furniture store and Lorigs, a clothing business begun in 1912.
Modern in style, the building's dominant feature is the two-story window on Tejon Street used to display its merchandise. Locally significant.