Resource Number: 58Historic Building Name: Grace Episcopal Church/Village Inn RestaurantCurrent Building Name: Address: 215-17 E. Pikes Peak Ave.Architectural Style: Late Victorian/Gothic RevivalYear Built: 1873-1874
Click for more information
Click for more photos
This building, although much altered, is what remains of the first Episcopal church erected in Colorado Springs, and is the oldest structure examined in the Downtown Survey. Initially completed in 1874, it was designed by George Summer, architect for the Colorado Springs Company in an English Gothic Style, commensurate with the community's character as "Little London." Winfield Scott Stratton supervised interior woodwork in his profession as carpenter; later, he would become one of the city's wealthiest citizens due to discoveries in the Cripple Creek mining district.
The congregation departed in 1925 for the new Grace Church at 631 North Tejon Street. Subsequently, the building was transformed into the popular Village Inn Restaurant. Periodically modified over the years, the portion that remains is a remnant of the original building. Locally significant.