Historic Downtown Colorado SpringsSurvey Report
Downloadable Walking Tour Brochure
Colorado Historical Society
National Register of Historic Places
City of Colorado Springs Homepage
City Planning Homepage
©2004 City of Colorado Springs
Select a numbered resource for more information
- Resource Number: 54
- Historic Building Name: Morrison Bros. Market/Cut-A-Corner Market
- Current Building Name: Padgett Bldg./A Quartermoon Mkt./Music Exchange/Old West Cigar/Old West Homebrew
- Address: 301 E. Pikes Peak Ave.
- Architectural Style: Modern Movements/Art Deco
- Year Built: 1936
Click for more information
Click for more photos
This corner commercial building is associated with the development of grocery stores in the 1930's, and is significant for the cut-away design that permitted free, off-street parking. The market opened in December 1936, with the Nelson-Eubanks Company opening the following month, selling DeSotos & Plymouths. The owner, J. Raymond Lowell, also officed in the building in 1939.
The building is an example of Art Deco style with projecting metal speedlines. The vertical ribbed metal covering that functions as a signband may cover the original façade. Locally significant.