Resource Number: 53Historic Building Name: Colorado Springs Fire Department Station #1Current Building Name: Colorado Springs Fire Department Station #1Address: 29 S. Weber St.Architectural Style: Late 19th and 20th Century Revivals/Italian RenaissanceYear Built: 1925
Click for more information
Click for more photos
This building is associated with the history of municipal services in Colorado Springs, having been erected as the central fire station in 1925. It continues in that function today. The building was designed by the local architect Thomas MacLaren, and represents the influence if Italian Renaissance style architecture with is t hipped roof with broadly overhanging eaves, tile roofing, masonry construction, arches above windows and elaborated entrance with classical pilasters.
The first paid fire department was authorized by City Council in 1894, and the initial central fire station was located on North Nevada Avenue, where the Municipal Utilities Building now stands. The connecting building to the south was added to provide administrative offices for the Fire Department. State Register eligible.