Resource Number: 52Historic Building Name: First Baptist ChurchCurrent Building Name: First Baptist ChurchAddress: 317 E. Kiowa St.Architectural Style: Late Victorian/Romanesque RevivalYear Built: 1890-91, 1955
Click for more information
Click for more photos
This building is associated with the early religious history of Colorado Springs, being erected in 1890-91. It was the second church on this site, and was designed by the Brooklyn N. Y architecture firm of L. B. Valk & Sons. Constructed in Romanesque Revival style, with its masonry construction, steeply-pitched gables, round arched windows and entrances, tall narrow cylindrical tower with conical roof, deeply inset doors, rock-faced stone used as ornament and decorative brickwork.
The congregation organized in 1872 and built a red brick building in 1874 on a lot donated by the Colorado Springs Company. The building proved inadequate, and the new church, designed for 300 members, was planned for the same site. The largest religious edifice in the city at the time of its completion, it was identified as providing seating 600 people. The Omaha Art Stained Glass Company created the stained glass windows.
The education building, now known as Fellowship Hall, was added in 1954 and was designed by the local firm of Thomas and Sweet. The east end of the Hall displays the stained glass windows originally placed in the First Lutheran Church at the intersection of Platte Avenue and Weber Street. State Register eligible.