Resource Number: 50Historic Building Name: First Lutheran Church/ First Evangelical English Lutheran ChurchCurrent Building Name: Pirmasen's New Life Church of God in ChristAddress: 301 E. Platte Ave.Architectural Style: Late Victorian/Romanesque RevivalYear Built: 1895-96, 1929
Click for more information
Click for more photos
This building was the first Lutheran church built in Colorado Springs, built by the city's initial Lutheran congregation. The original section, completed in 1896, was expanded to the west in 1929. This later expansion was designed by Charles Thomas, who also was associated with the Pillar of Fire church, the Shepard's Citation building and the Perkins Shearer Building.
This is an example of Romanesque Revival style, popular with ecclesiastic and public buildings at the end of the 19th century, and is characterized by the masonry construction, arcade cornice, projecting square tower and round arched windows. State Register listed.