Resource Number: 188Historic Building Name: Methodist Episcopal Church/Free Methodist ChurchCurrent Building Name: Rose of Sharon TempleAddress: 229 E. Cucharras St.Architectural Style: Late Victorian/Gothic RevivalYear Built: 1884
Click for more information
Click for more photos
This is one of the older church buildings in downtown, built in 1884 by the Methodist Episcopal congregation. Previously, a 1874 frame building, also built by the Methodist Episcopal church, occupied the site. Gothic Revival in style and constructed with brick, the building's most noteworthy feature involves the stained glass windows with flowing tracery. The gable on the east was a later addition, constructed sometime before 1895.
The Methodist Episcopal Church moved out of this structure in 1904, in an exchange involving the Cumberland Presbyterian Church at the northeast corner of Cheyenne Avenue and Weber Street. Since that time, a number of Christian churches have utilized this building. Locally significant.