Historic Downtown Colorado SpringsSurvey Report
Downloadable Walking Tour Brochure
Colorado Historical Society
National Register of Historic Places
City of Colorado Springs Homepage
City Planning Homepage
©2004 City of Colorado Springs
Select a numbered resource for more information
- Resource Number: 183
- Historic Building Name: Atchison, Topeka, & Santa Fe Rwy. Freight Depot Office/Union Freight Station
- Current Building Name:
- Address: 517 E. Cucharras St.
- Architectural Style: Late Victorian
- Year Built: 1902
Click for more information
Click for more photos
This 1902 building may be the earliest remaining building associated with the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad. A good example of Late Victorian style in its use of contrasting types of rock face stone, tall narrow windows and symmetrical construction, it was built as a freight office as a joint venture among the Colorado Midland, Colorado & Southern and Santa Fe railroads. Built in close proximity to the 1889 Santa Fe depot (replaced in 1917 by the Jacobethan Revival style Santa Fe depot at 555 East Pikes Peak Avenue), its opening was celebrated by a party of 150 people, entertained with music provided by the Colorado Springs Opera House orchestra and the Colorado College quartet. Afterwards, guests dined at the Harvey House restaurant in the depot.
The building served as a freight depot until 1944, and subsequently was used for a variety of businesses. Currently, it is used as a residence. National Register eligible.