Resource Number: 118Historic Building Name: First Christian ChurchCurrent Building Name: First Christian ChurchAddress: 16 E. Platte Ave.Architectural Style: Late 19th and 20th Century Revivals/English GothicYear Built: 1935
Click for more information
Click for more photos
This building has served the congregation of the First Christian Church since its construction in 1935. The church, founded in 1878, met in various homes and other churches until it built its first structure in 1891 on North Nevada Avenue, across from Acacia Park. The growing congregation purchased this site in 1926 and erected this church after the earlier building was damaged by fire. Local architect Edward Bunts had the lead in designing the building (Bunts was also the architect for the 1948 Stratton Building renovation, 27 South Tejon Street and Palmer High School, 301 North Nevada Avenue). The contractor was George O. Teats.
The building was one of the largest construction projects of the Great Depression era. Despite undertaking the project during the economic downturn, the congregation was able to hold its mortgage burning ceremony in 1943. The 1929 Alden Manor Apartments, attached to the north, was acquired in 1953 to serve as an Education Building.
Appropriate for a town once known as Little London, the church displays an English Gothic style. Numerous stained glass windows, executed by the Willet Stained Glass Window Company of Philadelphia, are carefully placed to capitalize on the southern exposure of the west wing. State Register eligible.