Resource Number: 117Historic Building Name: First Church of Christ ScientistCurrent Building Name: First Church of Christ ScientistAddress: 325 N. Cascade Ave.Architectural Style: Late 19th and 20th Century Revivals/Classical Revival and Modern MovementsYear Built: 1907-08; 1959
Click for more information
Click for more photos
This brick church was built in two stages: the first section facing Boulder Street in 1908, and a second wing facing Cascade Avenue in 1959. Although the Christian Science Church in Colorado Springs began in 1887 and formally organized in 1892, it was not until 1907-08, that the congregation constructed its own church building.
The 1908 section was designed in the popular Classical Revival style by Solon Spencer Beman of Chicago. Campbell Alden Scott designed the 1959 addition, with its glass front on Cascade Avenue providing a panorama of Pikes Peak, in the Modern style. The original building was remodeled at the same time to create a separate Sunday school. At the time of completion of the new wing, this church was one of more than 3,200 branch churches of the First Church of Christ, Scientist mother church in Boston. Locally significant.