Resource Number: 110Historic Building Name: Swan Funeral HomeCurrent Building Name: Address: 316 N. Tejon St.Architectural Style: Late 19th and 20th Century Revivals/Mediterranean RevivalYear Built: Pre-1895
Click for more information
Click for more photos
This building was the longtime site of the Swan Mortuary, one of the city's oldest funeral houses. Designed in the Mediterranean Revival style, it features a tiled roof and arcaded first story with arched windows and a central arched entrance that served as a pass-through for funeral vehicles.
In 1895, a pair of two-story houses was located on this site. When the Swan family converted the property to a mortuary in 1919, one of the houses was incorporated into the funeral building, and a new unifying front was added. The roof of the old house is still visible on the north. In 1932 a new chapel was added to the south.
The Swan Funeral Home remained in this building until its 1970 merger with Law Mortuary and their subsequent relocation to a building on North Cascade Avenue. The architects for this building are unknown. Locally significant.