Resource Number: 109Historic Building Name: Kerr Residence/El Paso ClubCurrent Building Name: El Paso ClubAddress: 30 E. Platte Ave.Architectural Style: Late Victorian/Queen AnneYear Built: 1883, 1909
Click for more information
Click for more photos
This house was originally built for Colorado College professor James H. Kerr. In 1890, the El Paso Club purchased the house and began remodeling it for its clubhouse. By January of 1891 the new clubhouse was ready for members, and a large ball the following month celebrated its opening.
The El Paso Club is purportedly the oldest men's social club west of Chicago, organized in Colorado Springs in 1877 and incorporated in 1880. The club quickly attracted a power elite of prominent business and professional men and ranchers from the surrounding area, achieving a national reputation by 1890.
The local architectural firm of Thomas P. Barber and Frederick Hastings designed the 1890-1891 remodeling project, which greatly expanded the original house on the north and east and added a half story in height, as well as the round tower at the southeast corner. Over the next 19 years a series of additions to the building were made, including a bowling alley in 1900. Thomas MacLaren, another prominent local architect, designed the last major addition in 1910, which replaced the bowling alley with a dining room.
The building is notable for its Queen Anne style features, modified with the application of Classical Revival style details and various eclectic ornaments. The dragon design of the finial topping the round tower was produced by the local Hassell Ironworks. National Register eligible.