Back to Housing Development

Frequently Asked Questions

P.O. Box 1575, Mail Code 640, Colorado Springs, CO 80901-1575
30 S Nevada Ave, Suite 604
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
Phone: 719-385-5912
Fax: 719-385-5475
Email: housingdevelopment. . .
Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 and 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday

City of Colorado Springs / Housing Development / HUD Grants

HUD Grants

What is this BUREAUCRATIC ALPHABET SOUP - CD, CDBG, HOME, ESG, and HUD?  What do all those letters mean?  It's enough to intimidate anyone.  If you're trying to understand Community Development (CD) or looking for funding through the City's Community Development Programs, it helps to know the acronyms.  The City receives annual funds from the federal government through the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) by way of three primary programs:

Community Development Block Grant (CDBG)
CDBG has provided Colorado Springs with $2,327,618 in 2011 to develop viable urban communities by providing decent housing and a suitable living environment and expanding economic opportunities, principally for persons of low and moderate income.  CDBG funds are budgeted for housing, human services, capital improvements, and planning.

The HOME Investment Partnership Act (HOME)
HOME adds another $1,492,224 in 2011 to expand the supply of decent, safe, sanitary and affordable housing for low-income persons.  The HOME budget includes housing rehabilitation, tenant-based rental assistance, and affordable housing development.

Emergency Shelter Grant (ESG)
The ESG program provides an additional $157,184 in 2011 to help improve the quality of existing emergency shelters for the homeless, create new shelters or help prevent homelessness.  Funds are used to support the Salvation Army New Hope Emergency Shelter and Urban Peak Shelter for teens.

Would you like to apply for funds, participate in a Community Development (CD) activity or just get more information on the CD program?

Call the Housing Development staff at 385-5912 or e-mail for these services:

Call the Housing Authority at (719) 387-6700 for questions regarding Section 8 Housing Vouchers

For more information about Federal Regulations just click on one of the links in the Quick Links section on the left side of your screen.