Constitution and Circle Intersection Improvements
Project Description: Improvements were built at this intersection to address intersection congestion, safety and allow alternate travel modes (bikes and pedestrians). The project improvements improved intersection efficiency reduced traffic delays, and existing potential for rear-end collisions; improved the overall Rock Island Trail crossing conditions and pedestrian circulation through the intersection.
- Widened both Constitution and Circle traffic lanes to standard widths as they approach and go through the intersection.
- Extended westbound, eastbound and southbound right-turn lanes for more vehicle capacity
- Improved southeast corner eliminating the sharp turn
- Replaced and retimed the traffic signals
- Installed ADA-compliant sidewalks and handicap ramps
- Improved the Rock Island Trail including construction of a trail tunnel, which may set precedence for additional trunnels along the corridor in the future
- Minimized the dip in the road for better drainage, traffic flow, and safety.
Total Project Cost: $1.94M
Project Phone: 719-385-5918
Project Manager: Andy Garton - City Engineering